Speaking to Muscat Daily on Tuesday, Abdullah Bamkhalef, the OTTC chief, said, “We are ready to welcome the 14 Arab nations and we hope to conduct one of the most successful championships ever.
“The participating teams will begin arriving on August 13 and more than 100 players will be in action in five men and women categories each – U12, U15, U18, U21 and senior. We may have a total of 200 guests, including officials, attending the event.”
Bamkhalef said that the Arab Table Tennis Union executive board will also meet on the sidelines of the championships while the participating member federations’ chief will also hold a meeting. He thanked the
Ministry of Sports Affairs for supporting the OTTC to host the prestigious championships Sajjad al Lawati, assistant director of the organising committee, said that the layout of venue has been designed according to the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) standards.
There will be two halls at the SQSC with one hall, comprising seven tables, for teams’ training session. The main competition hall will consist of two show courts and six other tables, which would mean eight matches could be played simultaneously.
Besides Oman, the countries participating are Qatar, Egypt, Lebanon, Iraq, Comoros, Somalia, Mauritania, Djibouti, Sudan, Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco, Palestine and Yemen.
H E Sheikh Saad al Saadi, the Minister of Sports Affairs, will inaugurate the championships on August 15 while the closing ceremony will be presided by H E Sayyid Saud Bin Hilal al Busaidi, the Minister of State and Governor of Muscat, on August 20.
Earlier on Tuesday, Hashim al Salmi, a member of the referees’ committee and Adil al Balushi, a member of the media committee, and Oman national teams’ head coach Mohammed Atoum were present at a press meet.